Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Gluten Free!

Well I have officially jumped on the gluten free band wagon. I have touched on this before and will try keep things relatively gluten free until race day and after. I finally had a long awaited appointment at the Natural Pharmacy. It was very informative like I knew it would be. After filling in a bunch of routine questions about my diet, body complaints...which I was amazed at how few I had. (or so I thought!) I then met Erik and we discussed the endocrine system which consists of your adrenals,hormones and thyroid. My immune system and what effects it We touched on my kidneys,liver,gallbladder,hips and the chinese beliefs associated with them. He explained to me about antioxidants and the belief that a slightly elevated cholestrol is neccessary for optimal health. We spoke about the concern of me being on wheat and how much better my body would respond to gluten free. I was interested to hear about which supplements I should be taking and at what times and Erik was very informative. He explained that based on my body shape,muscle type, food cravings, health symptoms and a few other factors that I was considered to be a PARA body type and given a list of foods that best suit this body type. The changes are not huge as I already tend to stay away from white flour, caffeine, sugar, desserts,fried foods and heavy oils. The new diet is perfect for me and i am excited to see how my body responds to the small changes.
Lastly I was pricked and a blood sample was looked at under the microscope. I was horrified to see what my blood looked like. Instead of the free healthy looking red and white blood cells. I had very small white blood cells, red blood cells that were all stuck together and a whole bunch of parasites...yes I said parasites. The most awful looking scary wormy like things in my blood. That right there was enough for me to say give me whatever I need. He too showed me how my kidneys were not functioning perfectly either. So it was fascinating and enlightening and I left with a goodie bag full of enzymes to get things to start running optimally. He assured me that nothing will effect me for race day and should only help me have more energy.
I shall start tonight with a whole assortment of enzymes and see how I feel in a few days. I have been feeling pretty tired and he promises me that I shall have a lot more energy in a few days!
I shall keep you all posted!

4 comments:

Judy said...

OMG - sounds like you need to be hauled off to the vet for some worming medicine!! LOL!! Keep us posted - hope you feel better!

Uli said...

Wow, that is very interesting, especially about your blood sample! hahaha. Do post when you start to notice the changes, I'd be interested to know since I eat pretty much anything at the moment, except red meat and fried, fast food... I could probably do alot better... I wonder if they have this pharmacy here out west?

Jodi said...

Parasites? ummm... doubt it. Looks like someone was trying to freak you out on purpose. I can be pretty damn confident that you don't have parasites in your blood. Unless you just got back from eating raw pork in Mexico or walking through the brush in Africa...

Jodi

Unknown said...

Yes the parasite part did freak me out ALOT! He says everyone has a certain amount of parasites in their blood. I don't know...but I definitely saw 4 or 5 pretty scary looking things in that blood sample. Now I know that a few other friends that have gone to this guy too also had parasites in their blood so at least I am not alone! Is it nonsense...it could be! Thanks for putting my mind at ease Jodi!