Saturday, August 22, 2009

Proud to be an American!



After 17 years of living in the USA I decided it was time to make it official. So when I got back from racing Ironman South Africa I started the process rolling and sent in my paperwork for Naturalization.
Thursday was the BIG day and all week I tested everyone I came into contact with on their knowledge of the government and American History. I was amused as most Americans don't know their government as well as they should and don't remember the history of it either. So thanks to all who let me quiz them and all that helped me study! I headed to Mt Laurel NJ for my Immigration Interview and test. I took little Sydney with me as my good luck charm.
The process went easier than I expected. The interview went great and the test was short...so short that after 6 correct answers he told me I had passed.
For all who are curious the questions were...
1. Who is the current Chief Justice of the Supreme court?
2. How many voting members are in the house of representatives?
3. For how long do we elect each Senator?
4. Which President is called the "Father of our country"?
5. What month do we vote for the President?
6. Name 2 wars in the 1900's?

I then got to read and write in English and had a few more questions to answer and I was done!!! I was told to come back in 5 hours to be sworn in! Wow, I was not expecting that. So Sydney and I drove back to the shore, so I could get a bike trainer workout in and to pick up Hank and Tanner and then we all drove back to Immigration so I could take the Oath and get sworn in! We got to watch a video of President Obama welcoming all 46 of us to America and that was it. I became American!
Thanks to all of you that sent me nice messages. It is exciting and a big deal for me. For the last few years I was always torn between racing as a South African or as an American. I was allowed to race on the American Team as I have lived here for so many years. Coach Paulo would always laugh when I would ask him what I should put down on my race entries. He would tell my it's my choice. I was always torn. So there will be no more RSA's in front of my name in racing anymore. But I will always be South African in my heart!

1 comment:

Danny Montoya said...

Wow! That's really cool Jacqui :) Congrats and "Welcome to America" ;-)