Saturday, November 17, 2007

Reflection!

Well, I have wanted to write a blog for some time...but I just never seem to have had the time and patience to try figure out how all this works. I read a quote last night that said "Don't say you don't have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours in a day that Helen Keller, Michaelangelo, Mother Theresa, Leonardo da Vinci and Albert Einstein all had." Therefore I stopped making excuses and started this blog.

While filling out my profile it gave me a chance to think about what made me the person I am today.
I was always addicted to exercise and staying fit...except at a young age it was just a way of life. Not like it is now where children have organized play and very little freedom.
My first hero was a South African runner Zola Budd who competed in the Olympics. I wanted to be her...she ran without shoes and so I ran barefoot too. My dream was to go to the Olympics!
My life was filled with lots of walking, running and swimming in the ocean. I had so much freedom to explore.
I was always a daredevil. My brother will tell stories of how I was not afraid of anything! I remember my mom walking in while I was in the middle of a dare. I was climbing from one window to another but I was three stories up. Boy, did we get into trouble for that! I was always up for A CHALLENGE. We would climb tall trees,crawl through mazes of drain pipes, spend hours running freely on sandy beaches digging for amazing marine life in giant rock pools. I remember clearly hanging on for dear life to the Brighton Beach salt water pool railings, with giant waves crashing over our heads trying to knock us into what we thought was shark infested waters. I was tough as nails...a saying we now use on my daughter who seems to be following in my footsteps. These wild days of freedom, the endless adventure, the South African heat and hills are all what make me who I am today. A strongly independent women, yet that same little girl still looking for excitement,adventure and a constant challenge.
We had a great saying growing up which I was never really fond of." We rough and tough and we come from the Bluff." Well thank you mom and dad for always letting me have that freedom, thank you Bluff for making me who I am today!

No comments: